Adventures in Japan
On July 1st, we took our annual international trip, this time to Japan. We actually didn’t take a big international trip last year so we saved up our points and made this trip one of the cheapest trips we have ever taken. As usual, we took months to research where we wanted to go and booked everything about 6 or more months in advance. We decided on the following locations in Japan: Hiroshima, Osaka, Kyoto and Tokyo.
When I say the cheapest trip, I mean it. Two weeks in Japan on points! We booked our airfare and every hotel on points. That’s right, no cost for the round trip airfare or hotels upfront! Here is our break down:
- American Airlines: Round Trip Business Class x 2: 300,000 points each
- Hilton Narita Airport: 20,000 points
- Courtyard Seoul Namdaemun: South Korea: 60,000 points, 2 nights
- Sheraton Grand Hiroshima Hotel: 20,000 points, 2 nights
- Hilton Osaka: 100,000 points, 2 nights
- Ritz-Carlton Kyoto: 280,000 points, 4 nights
- Ritz-Carlton Tokyo: 280,000 points, 4 nights
So we used a total of 1,060,000 points to reduce the cost of this two week trip. We always tell our family and friends to stop using your debit cards and start using credit cards that give you points. To sign up for every hotel and airline award program that you use. Our last big trip was in 2015 so we had almost two years to save up. The American Airlines business class was the best part. 180 degree lay down seats. I was actually allowed to sleep on this 11.5 hour flight. We probably would have never paid the normal $3,500 for business class. Saving all this money let us spend extra, if needed, on taxis and other hotel upgrades or food. So what are you waiting for, start saving points!
So please check out our trip: